Saturday, June 1, 2013

Review: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

AmazonBarnes and Noble

Rating: 5

Summary:
After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.


My Review:

After the 1st page, the layout is beautiful. After the 2nd, you fall in love with the voice. And after the 3rd, you are completely sold. After the 4th page, I hope you cleared you afternoon schedule, because you will be giving up reading time for no one.

Already a fan of Rick Yancey after falling in love with The Monstrumologist series, I decided that I would have to read The 5th Wave. It definitely looks cool, and I have heard only great things about the novel, and I am sure you have too.

Well, you are about to hear another one.

The 5th Wave is the best story I have read in a long time. It is the kind of novel that latches onto your mind, that you have became a part of. That once you finish that final page and see the word "acknowledgements", you get this indescribable feeling washing over you, crashing in a wave so strong that you just close the back cover and say,

"Whoa."

The 5th Wave is a 'whoa' novel. It is a 'damn' novel. It is a 'I think I just found my new favorite book and if I could I would print all my favorite quotes from the text onto bedsheets and pillow cases so I can sleep with them every night novel.' It is the kind of novel that you ramble on about how it affected you but the words are all meaningless because describing exactly how it affected you would be like tearing yourself open and revealing your heart and soul and being to everyone who is bored enough to be reading your review.

I could say that The 5th Wave is fast-paced, action-packed, refreshingly original, so-good-I-could-cry, but I don't even want to limit this with the words that first pop into my completely blown-away mind.

Whoa.

There is not one character that isn't well-developed. There is not one part of the plot that is slow. There is not one sentence that isn't brilliant.

Rick Yancey, you did it again. I am head over heels.

The 5th Wave takes realistic voices of teenagers, and crafts a remarkable story that contains science fiction, action, adventure, romance, humor, and just about everything else that young adult fiction readers dream about at night.

I highly suggest you click those links at the beginning of this post, or run out to your nearest bookseller, because the 5th Wave is coming.

And you'll want it to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment