Sunday, June 16, 2013

Review: Enigma Black by Sara Furlong Burr



Rating: 5

Synopsis: When she was just seventeen, the course of Celaine Stevens' life was permanently altered with the murders of her father, mother, and brother in one of a series of mysterious and violent explosions occurring across the country. Struggling with picking up the pieces, she's haunted by the memory of that day and her promise of retribution against those responsible for her misery. But just as she seems to be getting her life back on track, an encounter with a mysterious stranger promises her the vengeance she desires, ultimately turning the former target into the assassin.

However, as she soon learns, all choices come with consequences. And the consequence of her choice threatens to destroy the very fabric of her being.

My Review: 

From the very beginning of the novel, Enigma Black will have you captivated, at the edge of your seat, desperately and continuously reading the pages until you reach the end. The story is well-written, action-packed, and heart-wrenching, and I couldn't have asked for more.

Not many times do you see characters this well-developed. Celaine is the kind of character that the reader can connect to. That you might think wow, that sounds like something I would say, which allows you to connect to the story even more. Even the characters that I didn't like were written so well, I almost did like them. The Man in Black is the psychopathic monster (and a brilliant antagonist) yet I find myself highlighting some of the quotes in his section, because they were so brilliant.

I always enjoy a story that really takes you into that world, and Enigma Black delivers. Between the separate parts, and starting Celaine's narrative when she was seventeen before going deep into her story, along with the use of the occasional third-person point of view, I didn't just feel like I was reading the story, I felt that I was living it. And that is really something amazing.

With an incredible, yet believable, plot, nonstop action, witty dialogue, and connections that you will make as you continue to read, Enigma Black is a story you will fall in love with. I highly recommend, and am eagerly looking forward to the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment